Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Repurposing My Paper

      First off, thank you to Alicia and Kaleigh for your feedback on my paper! I really appreciate your help, You've given me a few ideas for the direction my paper will go.

      Kaleigh suggested that I expand my content to discuss the marginalization of other struggling or minority groups along with the two groups I've already discussed. I really like this idea because then my paper and my research could apply to any person or group who feels like they are being treated unfairly.

      She also suggested that I create some sort of discussion board for these people, to give them a voice so that they can be heard and discuss their problems with people who are going through similar problems. I like the idea of being able to help people, and this seems like a way to do that. The only problem is that I have no clue how to create a discussion board like that, and if I did, how to inform people of its existence and get them to comment on it.

      I think this would be a worthwhile project, but I just don't know how to go about doing it. Any ideas that anyone has would be helpful! :)

      Another idea that Alicia had was to keep the focus on Mormons in the present day. She said that now that I have established that a problem exists, I should discuss how people should and are dealing with the issue. She mentioned the "I am a Mormon" videos, the church's statements to the press about it's doctrine (most notably the Randy Bott and racism blowup), just getting the correct information out these (mormon.org and lds.org). The church has many ways of defending and standing up for itself, and so I could definitely talk about those.

      I'm a little unclear as to whether we are supposed to add to our actual research paper or if we are supposed to put the research that we've done, old and new, into some entirely new format. Anyway, I was thinking that I could make my own "I am a Mormon" video and talk about my research. I could talk about the oppression in Shakespeare, in Mormon history, of Muslims today, of women, of blacks, etc. I could go on to say that all of these groups have fought this hatred and talk about their methods. Then I can bring it back to Mormons today and how we all must stand up for our religion with our testimonies, etc., and bring an awareness of the problem to the public.

      This is just a rough idea, but it is something that I could post on the internet, something done in a digital medium. It is also something that many people are doing, but mine would have a slightly different take. I think it could be interesting. Updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment