Friday, January 20, 2012

The Greatness That Is Luminarium

      To all of you who posted about the Luminarium website, I really appreciate the tip.  It's hard for me to resist looking for background information in places like Wikipedia and Sparknotes, even though I know they are not the most reliable places I could go for information.  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't ever know where else to look, so I go to less-than-high-quality places because they are easily accessible and easy to use (except for this week, apparently--why in the world did they think blacking out Wikipedia was a good idea??!). So, I am very grateful to those who have posted about other, more trustworthy sites to visit.
      For those who haven't explored Luminarium much or at all, there is one feature that I would like to share.  There is a place where you can click on a play and it will bring up a few critical essays written about that particular play.  I think this is really helpful for several reasons.  It's always interesting to see the perspectives of other people reading Shakespeare, especially people who are highly educated (and therefore know what they are talking about).  They bring up interesting issues, considering things I would never have thought of myself.  These articles may be able to provide an issue or angle that would be interesting to study deeper for our research paper or simply just to learn more about Shakespeare.
      To get to these articles, go to the section for 16th century Renaissance literature.  Under the list of authors, click on William Shakespeare.  On the left of the next page, you can see several options to click on, one of which is "Criticism--General--Plays/Works."  Clicking on this brings up a list of all his plays (http://shakespeare.palomar.edu/playcriticism.html), and by selecting a certain play you can find different articles about it.
      This is all just for your information.  I thought it could be helpful for those, like me, who have trouble finding any legitimate information about Shakespeare!  I would also appreciate it if anyone wanted to share any more helpful sites they know about.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I absolutely agree. Luminarium has become a great source of information for me. IN FACT, I was able to find an article that is going to help me in my research. I am writing on "The Tempest" and when looking up this play was able find a critical essay which connects perfectly to my thoughts on Utopia. Good luck in your research!

    ReplyDelete