Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Antisemitism in The Merchant of Venice

      The Merchant of Venice clearly presents the conflict between believers (the Christians) and the infidels (Jews and other non-believers).  On the surface, Shylock appears as a miserly, bitter, and vengeful Jew who victimizes the Christians, who represent goodness, mercy, and selflessness.  But when we dig deeper, we discover that, at least partially, Shylock has become so bitter when it comes to Christians because of their attitudes towards Jews and members of other religions.
     I am considering researching deeper into this issue for my research paper.  What started this deep, ingrained hatred of those who are not Christians?  Where did this idea originate?  Why are they considered inferior?  These are just a few questions that I think will get my research off the ground.  I'll probably look at the history of antisemitism and other religious prejudices, and then see how those ideas appear in one or more of Shakespeare's texts, including The Merchant of Venice.
     Does anyone have any idea of where I can look to find a good historical source to find reliable background information?  This is a topic that really interests me and I am looking forward to seeing how these prejudices began.

1 comment:

  1. I sort of had the same questions, but I would like to learn more if you ever get the answers. it seems to me that people have always been afraid of their differences and would always approach each other with hostility.

    ReplyDelete